Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sore Tush Rule - Staying Healthy

Well, after a month off the bike due to various climate reasons here in Maine, I hopped back on my trainer for a 45 minute spin. Boy was my butt sore! I figure I ride most of the year long with some days of 60 to 80 miles and some weeks putting in 200 miles. It should be a piece of cake to ride only 45 minutes. I learned an important lesson that we all should keep in mind. It's far easier to stay healthy than to get healthy! For me, in this instance, I probably could have ridden 30 minutes 3 times a week to keep my firm derriere, but instead I took a complete vacation. This can translate to any healthy habit. I see it all the time in chiropractic. Mrs. Jones comes in after not being seen for 10 months and says, "I was doing so well that I thought I'd take a little time off. At first it only got a little worse, but now it is just like before I started care." Mrs. Jones needs to learn the sore tush rule.

This is the bottom line. Our daily routines rarely see the types of physical activity we need to maintain good health. We need to actively pursue exercise and other healthy activities to keep us at our best. When we take a little time off, our health slides back to the state it would naturally be with the routine we live. For most of us, this is just not optimal!

So my butt was sore for a few days, but I hopped back on the bike quickly and rode for about an hour. It felt better much quicker. I now have a routine again established where I spin for an hour as I listen to a teleconference twice a week. Adding this to my winter gym workouts will have me ready to hit the road again when mother nature allows!

No comments: