Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Self Care

I've been a little lax in my self care lately. I guess the good thing is that I recognize it and am back to changing it. I know a lot of people fall off the bandwagon in December. I just don't think they equate it to self care. I had to ask Shannon yesterday to stop baking so much! Can you believe it? Here's the problem; she doesn't eat sweets anymore so that means I now have twice as much to eat when she bakes. Since I have very little self control, I'd just rather it not be in the house. Anyway, it's a great time for new year resolutions and a return to self care. Most of us innately understand this; we just have a hard time sticking to this aspect of health. Here are the most important things I see for self care (those things we have to do for ourselves that no one else can do for us):

1) Eat a healthful, natural diet at least 80% of the time (include lots of high quality water).
2) Exercise several days a week (preferably cardio and strength training).
3) Pray daily.
4) Spend time with family.
5) Participate in spiritual development daily (include meditation and reading of good books/scripture).
6) Get adequate sleep (the recommendation for adults is 7-9 hours a night).

I'm sure there are more, but it's easy to note the things that are easy to skip. My new year's resolutions will include these!

No comments: